Rome Didn't Fall in A Day.









Objective Truth Exists, and is Accessible to Everyone.

All Human Problems can be Solved with Enough Knowledge, Wealth, Social Cooperation and Time.


Photo: Rusty Peak, Anchorage, Alaska


Translate

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Limits to Growth

I just finished reading "The Limits to Growth", 1972 edition, which I should have read a long time ago.  It's an excellent book.   The principal authors were Dennis and Donella Meadows, Carleton College '64 and '63, respectively (yay, Carleton).

The book presents the results of a world economic and social computer simulation.  At the time of the 1972 model development, the authors did not claim that the model was either predictive or quantitative.  Instead, the focus was simply to construct the model and observe the behavior of the simulation.  After the "standard run" base case was created, the model was perturbed in various ways, and the variation between runs was considered.  Model inputs matched historical data from 1900 to 1970, and matched the exponential rates of growth observed through most of the 20th century.  The number of parameters was very small:  Population, Food Supply, Arable Land, Non-renewable Natural Resources, Industrial Production, Pollution, etc.  Feedback loops were created which established relationships between the parameters, and provided for limits on exponential growth.

In almost every case considered, population, food supply, and industrial production rise to a peak, and then fall, sometimes catastrophically, before the end of the 21st century.

According to the 1972 model, world population was forecast to reach 7 Billion by about 2017.   According to current UN estimates, population will reach 7 Billion earlier, sometime in October, 2011.  The LTG estimate was pretty good for a model that was not intended to be predictive or quantitative.  However, we can note some changes in the current picture, as compared to the simulation from 1972.   First, global birth rates have declined much faster than assumed in the model runs.  Secondly, lifespan has increased faster then the model, and I believe that global wealth has risen higher and faster than imagined in the model.  I also believe there we have a much greater ability to expand production of non-renewable resources than considered in the models, although I expect diminishing returns from that expanded production (as described in my blog post regarding Energy Return On Investment).
http://dougrobbins.blogspot.com/2011/09/energy-return-on-investment.html
And the model generalizations regarding "pollution" appear to be unfounded, or uncalibrated.  But there is a good correspondence between atmospheric CO2 and the pollution parameter of the LTG models.

Graham Turner of CSIRO presented a 30-year lookback on the LTG findings, presented here:
http://www.csiro.au/files/files/plje.pdf.
Matthew Simmons, author of "Twilight in the Desert" (R.I.P., 2010), also presented a look-back on the 1972 LTG.  http://www.greatchange.org/ov-simmons,club_of_rome_revisted.pdf

So we are left with the question:  Will food, wealth and population collapse in the 21st century, as predicted in the 1972 world model?  Time will  tell.

6 comments:






  1. THE MOST HIGH AND GREAT SPELL CASTER ONLINE AND CONTACT HIM FOR ANY KIND OF SPELL YOU MAY NEED: DOCTOR0LOVESPELL@GMAIL.COM  
    This is the most wonderful thing i have ever experienced. I visited a forum here on the internet on the 17 June 2018, and i saw a marvelous testimonies on the forum about the good works Dr love0. Am from the United States. I never believed it, because have never heard anything about such miracle before. No body would have been able to convince me about it not until Dr love0 did a marvelous work for me that restored my marriage of 4 years by getting back my divorced wife within 48 hours just as i read on the internet. I was truly shocked when my wife came home pleading for forgiveness to accept her back. Am really short of words to show my appreciation to Dr love0. For he's a God sent to me and my entire family for divine restoration of marriage. Are you in need of any help whatsoever? Don't hesitate to get in touch with him now.  You can contact him Via email (doctor0lovespell@gmail.com) check his blogs: https://doctorlovespell0.blogspot.com/  or check website:  https://doctor0lovespell.wixsite.com/lovespell or visit his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Love-Spell-Doctor0-107453264273672/     He also specializes on the follow;
    Divorce reconciliation
    Marriage reconciliation
    Business growth
    Promotion in your place of work/office
    Making banks to grants loans
    Cures of diseases such as; Cancer, hiv, aids, herpes E.T.C.
    Getting your EX/lover back
    Getting your wife/husband back
    Getting your boyfriend/girlfriend back  
















    THE MOST HIGH AND GREAT SPELL CASTER ONLINE AND CONTACT HIM FOR ANY KIND OF SPELL YOU MAY NEED: DOCTOR0LOVESPELL@GMAIL.COM  
    This is the most wonderful thing i have ever experienced. I visited a forum here on the internet on the 17 June 2018, and i saw a marvelous testimonies on the forum about the good works Dr love0. Am from the United States. I never believed it, because have never heard anything about such miracle before. No body would have been able to convince me about it not until Dr love0 did a marvelous work for me that restored my marriage of 4 years by getting back my divorced wife within 48 hours just as i read on the internet. I was truly shocked when my wife came home pleading for forgiveness to accept her back. Am really short of words to show my appreciation to Dr love0. For he's a God sent to me and my entire family for divine restoration of marriage. Are you in need of any help whatsoever? Don't hesitate to get in touch with him now.  You can contact him Via email (doctor0lovespell@gmail.com) check his blogs: https://doctorlovespell0.blogspot.com/  or check website:  https://doctor0lovespell.wixsite.com/lovespell or visit his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Love-Spell-Doctor0-107453264273672/     He also specializes on the follow;
    Divorce reconciliation
    Marriage reconciliation
    Business growth
    Promotion in your place of work/office
    Making banks to grants loans
    Cures of diseases such as; Cancer, hiv, aids, herpes E.T.C.
    Getting your EX/lover back
    Getting your wife/husband back
    Getting your boyfriend/girlfriend back  








    ReplyDelete



  2. HELLO EVERYONE
    Dr Wonder has really be so wonderful to me i will always testify of his greatness in my life who could have believe Dr Wonder herbal herbs cured me from my herpes virus which i was having for the past 4 year,i came across Dr.Wonderspellhome@yahoo.com on a page of how to treat herpes virus and i saw a lot of testimony of how great Dr Wonder has helped them in there various problems and situations and his mobile numbers were also on each testimony +2349059484309
    to contact him, because i needed help to get rid of my herpes virus i wrote him on whats app and told him what i was passing through!dear friends all Dr Wonders ask me was not much to make sure am cured from my herpes virus, remember health is wealth, he sent me a herbal remedy for the cure of my herpes virus i was so much happy because after drinking the herbs as i was instructed by him i went to the hospital for checkup to my surprise my herpes result came out negative i will recommend Dr.Wonderspellhome@yahoo.com to anyone who need his help you can also whatsapp him +2349059484309
    ...Thanks Dr..

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing testimony on a spell caster who brought my husband back to me.. My progress is progress Paul,i live in UK,and I'm happily married to a lovely and caring husband ,with two kids. A very big problem occurred in my family six months ago,between me and my husband .so terrible that he took the case to court for a divorce. he said that he never wanted to stay with me again,and that he didn't love me anymore. So he packed out of the house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get him back,after much begging,but all to no avail. and he confirmed it that he has made his decision,and he never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my husband .So i explained every thing to him,so he told me that the only way i can get my husband back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for him too. So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow his advice. Then he gave me the email address of the spell caster whom he visited.{okorospell@gmail.com}. So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address he gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my husband back the next day. What an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me,and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my husband who didn't call me for the past six {6}months,gave me a call to inform me that he was coming back.So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster. So, i will advice you out there to kindly visit the great Dr okoro if you are in any condition like this,or you have any problem related to "bringing your ex back. So thanks to the Dr okoro bringing back my husband ,and brought great joy to my family once again. {okorospell@gmail.com or you can still WhatsApp him with this number or you can call him +2347050480047


    ReplyDelete
  4. How this great man helped me to bring back my ex lover within 72hours,my lover who broke up with me since last Two year,i love him so much that any time i see him with another girl i will be angry,so one day i was going through the internet when i saw a testimony of a woman how this great man name Dr ekpoma helped her to get back with her husband, so lucky for me he dropped the contact of the man,so i quickly called the number he did not pick i emailed him after about 4 hours time he called me back and he replied my email,i filled the form and he told me everything about me and my lover i was surprise so he told that he need some items to do the prayers for me,which i sent him the money to get and that was the only money he collected from me,within 72hours my lover came back to me pleading to me asking for forgiveness,he now love me, cherish me and he promise that he will never leave me again all thanks to drekpoma you can also email:drekpoma77temple@gmail.com or add him on Whats-app:+2348139206346

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number  +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 61 years old. I contracted HPV in 2011' I has be taking lot treatment for it and embarrassed some months ago the wart stated coming out seriously, I used lot recommendation because there was lot warts around my anus and was so . but today I'm totally happy I got the virus eliminated by using natural treatment from Dr voodoo herbal center after his treatment I got cured. all the warts went away' seriously believed Dr. voodoo he have the cure for human papillomavirus because he has eliminated hpv been in my body since 2011, Dr. voodoo make it possible for me. Here is Dr. voodoo email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or WhatsApp him via +2348140120719 he is welled capable of curing terrible diseases.

    ReplyDelete