Rome Didn't Fall in A Day.









Objective Truth Exists, and is Accessible to Everyone.

All Human Problems can be Solved with Enough Knowledge, Wealth, Social Cooperation and Time.


Photo: Rusty Peak, Anchorage, Alaska


Translate

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Data Visualization

One of the greatest things about the Internet is free access to data visualization tools.   There are some remarkable sites available, that quickly allow anyone to see significant data, and develop their own models and conclusions.   Here are some examples:
http://www.gapminder.org/   Gapminder is the site I discovered first, and like the best.
http://www.google.com/publicdata/home    Google's site is clearly modeled after Gapminder.   Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
http://www.tableausoftware.com/public/   Tableau Software hosts this site.  The gallery of visualizations generated by other users is very interesting, covering every topic from tooth decay, to the growth rates of technology businesses, to the milk productivity of Wisconsin dairy cows.   Moo!

http://www-958.ibm.com/software/data/cognos/manyeyes/   Many Eyes is collaborative site hosted by IBM.   I need to update my Java plug-in to view these visualizations again.

When I collected these sites last year, there was another site "Swivel.com", which hoped to become the YouTube of data visualization.  Unfortunately, although the content and tools were good, the business failed within a few months, after the company had spent 3 or 4 million dollars.  A technology journalist commented, "These free tools on the web are easy to use, and easy to lose."
http://eagereyes.org/criticism/the-rise-and-fall-of-swivel

But back to Gapminder.   I encourage you to explore this site, especially the featured visualizations "Health and Wealth of Nations", "200 Years that Changed the World", and "Stop Calling Them Developing Nations".  http://www.gapminder.org/
Above all, these visualizations show that globally, despite everything you may read, the quality of life for people on the planet Earth is improving.

The world really is getting better.

11 comments:

  1. I use creately for my Data Visualization needs. It is far more better than the software out there. Its online and platform independent and you can create any type of diagram with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found a great and massive information on Best Data Visualization Tools which helps you also. Thanks for Posting data visualization post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Finally Got Helped  !! I'm so excited right now, I just have to share my testimony on this Forum.. The feeling of being loved takes away so much burden from our shoulders. I had all this but I made a big mistake when I cheated on my wife with another woman  and my wife left me for over 4 months after she found out..  I was lonely, sad and devastated. Luckily I was directed to a very powerful spell caster Dr Emu who helped me cast a spell of reconciliation on our Relationship and he brought back my wife and now she loves me far more than ever.. I'm so happy with life now. Thank you so much Dr Emu, kindly Contact  Dr Emu Today and get any kind of help you want.. Via Email emutemple@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp cell number  +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete